Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Mathematics Texts

I don't know that I got any other text concerning mathematics than a textbook until I got to college. A textbook was the only thing that was referred to and the only thing used to teach mathematics. After much experience and being exposed to other texts, I find this annoying. Textbooks are certainly not the only text (or the best by any stretch) there is to cultivate an understanding and appreciation.  There are many videos, historical texts, applets, podcasts, journals, magazines, and books that really show what math is about, more so than most any textbook. 
In my experience, the classroom is where I learned algorithms and displayed my proficiency with those algorithms to get a good grade. I didn't have to have a good grasp of what those algorithms did as long as I could come to the correct answer. I can't recall doing much other than plugging numbers into equations and getting answers out. In my future classroom, I dearly hope that I don't continue with that tradition.
I would like to teach students the underlying concepts of mathematics and help them to understand that math is about thinking more than just using numbers. In order to do this, I need to move beyond the algorithm style of teaching. I want to incorporate history as well as modern discoveries to enrich learning. I also plan to assess in a way that students are asked to have a thorough grasp of the content. One of the ways I've thought of doing this is to have think aloud portions of an assessment where students work through a problem while talking me through their thought process. I think this will cultivate a much deeper appreciation and understanding of the content.

2 comments:

  1. It’s interesting to see how our conceptions of discipline specific reading and writing inform the ways we learn in our disciplines, assess that knowledge and ultimately convey and value what our students are doing in regard to their own learning. You have some good ideas on how you will support your own students’ development in your discipline and I hope you continue to use this as a foundation to your future thinking about the literacy demands of your own discipline and how you can build those for your students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who does not to this day enjoy math (maybe because of all the horrible math classes I was perpetually lost in) I think it is great that you are thinking of better more in depth ways to teach the topic.

    ReplyDelete