I dislike reading.
I feel strange saying this as an educated woman who loves knowledge, stories,
and books in general but it is true. It seems that I have never liked reading.
When I was a small child I loved to be read to. In fact, my mother read the books
we had so many times that I could point to the words and recite it perfectly
without actually reading. I loved the pictures, the funny stories, and the
wonderful worlds that the books we had contained.
Later when I was
introduced to reading in a school setting, I resisted it with all that I had. I
colored the pictures and learned the stories by listening to them but I hated
learning to read for myself. I was
marked as a slow reader and was often put in the lower ranked reading groups. I
struggled with spelling after the 2nd grade when words stopped being
phonetic. It just didn’t come to me. I remember most of my report cards had
suggestions of “Have her read out-loud every night.” Reading out loud was one
of the worst punishments that could be handed out to me. I dreaded being called
on to read aloud and I’m sure my classmates disliked it as much as I did,
having to listen to me stumble and stutter over almost every word. It was
painful.
Over the years I
got better. I became proficient enough to be successful in other subjects but
never came to appreciate reading for sport. In the 5th grade I had
yet to read a chapter book all the way through. My mother had to bribe me and
finally confine me to my room before I actually finished Ella Enchanted (my first
chapter book). In the summer we had an hour reading time right after lunch
every day. Sometimes I would read the Magic Tree-house series but most of the
time I would daydream and turn the pages every few minutes. I loved going to the
library to look at all the books (the look, smell, content, and feel of books
was always appealing but never actually reading them). It became a habit to
check out a few books, read the first few pages, find them interesting and then
return them the next week in exchange for a few more books. I’ve read the first
few pages of a lot of books.
Despite my lack of
reading, I was an excellent student all through school. Grades became a very
good extrinsic motivator for me to read when it was necessary. I also became a
very proficient pretender. I read as little as was possible while still
maintaining my standing as a good student.
It wasn’t until I
got to college that I learned that I was an audio learner. I finally understood
why understanding text was so difficult for me and also discovered that I
remedied this by reading aloud to myself in my head. I have to translate words on
a page to sounds before I can understand them. It takes a lot of concentration and
a lot of time for me to understand what is written on a paper. My spelling is
still atrocious for words that I have not memorized the correct sequence of
letters.
At this time in my
life, I would like to understand how this struggle could have been made easier
for me and how it could have been different if there was a teacher that
recognized how to help me. I still have a lot to learn about literacy and how I
can help those whose struggles are far greater than my own. Everyone should
have a chance to decide what they think about reading but at the same time be
proficient at it.
For me, literacy
doesn’t mean that I have to like reading or writing. I am a successful student
without these interests but they have shaped the way that I view how classrooms
could be run. In my classroom, I would love to have an audio version of any
text that we use. I think that reading and writing, or communication in
general, is an essential part of life as well as mathematics and physics, but I
also think that we should give students their best chance. I would have been
even more successful had I been given the tools that I preferred. We are in a
time and age when text is not the only option, so why not use it?
This is a nicely written autobiography...I read it earlier and am sorry I never got a comment on this. You have given me insights into who you are as a person.
ReplyDelete