Salutations all! Since this is the first blog post, I should probably introduce myself.
The short version: My name is Taylor Johnson. I am a senior at Utah State University studying Mathematics education and Physics teachings. I will be done with classes this May and begin student teaching in the fall of this year. I love learning new things, playing piano, reading, starting projects (which usually take an unreasonably long time to finish), and going on adventures. I am married to a wonderful man and enjoy spending as much time with him as possible. He is also a student at Utah State and will be graduating in May. In the fall he will start graduate school and we will be moving to some unknown location.
The long version: I was born in southern California and raised in a little town in northern Nevada. We lived by the mountains and had a huge yard to explore. It was a magnificent childhood with many fond memories. After graduating from high school I moved to Logan, UT to attend Utah State University. My original intentions were to become a physicist and work for NASA discovering planets or some such thing. I quickly decided that physics was not what I wanted to do with my life (even though the idea of it still intrigues me) and reverted back to my life long goal of becoming a teacher. Since I had already completed a few physics classes, I kept that as a minor but chose mathematics education as a major.
I have always been good at math and growing up, it was my favorite subject. However, over the past couple years, I have come to realize that mathematics is a way of thinking rather than simply a subject. When I was little, I was always the student who was right by the teacher's side asking if I could help with anything. Some say that's being a teacher's pet but I say it is learning a profession. Throughout my secondary school years, I loved helping my classmates with their school work and seeing the moment when they caught on. For all of these reasons and so many more, I can hardly wait to be a math educator. I have become passionate about teaching and especially about teaching
mathematics. I am so excited about what opportunities my career choice
can provide and can't wait to see where it takes me.
Although I think it would be fun to discover planets, think of what you'll help your students discover by being a teacher...
ReplyDelete